You can install GNOME desktop on CentOS 6 using various methods. GNOME is the most popular desktop extension for any UNIX based system. After installing CentOS you might want the GUI version to make the administration simpler. You can install GNOME directly having internet connection or by using installation DVD. In this method you will require internet access to the CentOS machine. So make sure your IP address and DNS configuration are correct and internet is accessible. You can always perform the check by using ping command. Make sure your DNS is resolvable. For example, make sure you can ping www.google.com not just IP address like 184.108.40.206.
Install GNOME desktop on CentOS 6
Note:- I will install GNOME desktop on CentOS 6.4 version. The process of installing GNOME on any version of CentOS is almost the same.
- At first we need to install X Windows components, to do that hit the following command in shell by root user credentials,
[root@hostname`]# yum groupinstall -y ‘X Window System’
You will see following similar screen,
- Now we can download and install GNOME desktop. To do so, hit the following commands,
[root@hostname`]# yum groupinstall -y ‘Desktop’
- As of now the server is running in CLI mode. So we need to configure the setting to start the server in GUI mode. To do that edit /etc/inittabÂ file.
[root@hostname`]# nano /etc/inittab
Here change, id:3:initdefault: To id:5:initdefault:
- Download and install the fonts for GUI.
[root@hostname`]# yum groupinstall -y fonts
- You can now start the GUI from CLI,
- You can switch back between GUI and CLI.
CLI to GUI : Ctrl + Alt + F1 GUI to CLI : Ctrl + Alt + F6
You have now have successfully installed GNOME GUI. Restart the server and you will have GUI on your screen.
You may also like -
Latest posts by Bipin (see all)
- Restore Accidentally Deleted Public Folder Database from EDB File - May 23, 2016
- Create Dynamic Distribution Group in Exchange 2016 - April 21, 2016
- Create Distribution Group in Exchange 2016 - April 21, 2016