Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 is a upgrade from Exchange Server 2013 with few changes. Microsoft released OEM version of Exchange 2016 in October 2015. Exchange 2016 is more cloud focused where the new features have enhanced from Microsoft’s cloud Office 365. In this post, I will explain New Features of Microsoft Exchange Server 2016.
New Features of Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
The major change in Exchange Server 2016 is server role. In Exchange 2013, there were three roles, Mailbox server role, Client Access server role and Edge Transport server role. Exchange 2016 have just two server roles, Mailbox server role and Edge Transport server role.
- Mailbox Server Role: Mailbox server role in Exchange 2016 compared to Exchange 2013 includes both Mailbox server role and Client access server role. This simplifies the installation and management of Exchange 2016.
- Edge Transport Server Role: Edge Transport server role is similar to Transport role in Exchange 2013. It is installed in DMZ network and provides anti-virus and anti-spam functionality.
- Outlook on the web (aka Outlook Web App): Outlook on the web is now updated with new web interface with faster email and people search.
- MAPI over HTTP: MAPI over HTTP was introduced in Exchange 2013. It is now the default protocol that Outlook uses to communicate with Exchange server. Exchange 2016 also supports Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) and is the fall back option for clients that do not support MAP over HTTP. If you are installing Exchange 2016 in existing Exchange 2013 environment then MAPI over HTTP will not be used by Outlook clients, instead Outlook Anywhere will be used.
- Document Collaboration: Exchange 2016 with Sharepoint 2016 allows Outlook on the web users to link and share documents stored on One Drive for business or on-premise SharePoint server instead of attaching the files. If you are running Office Online Server on-premise, you can edit documents using Outlook on the web.
Office 365 Hybrid
In Exchange 2016, Hybrid Configuration Wizard (HCW) is not included. Instead, when you choose to install hybrid deployment in Exchange 2016, you will be asked to download and install HCW as a small app.
Messaging Policy and Compliance
- Data Loss Prevention: DLP is a feature that allows companies to protect sensitive information from being exposed, like credit card information, social security number and so on. In Exchange 2016, you can now identify and protect 80 different types of data using Data Loss Prevention and transport rules features. DLP has introduced new conditions and actions.
- In-place Archiving, retention and eDiscovery: You can now perform eDiscovery and hold on public folders in Exchange 2016. Exchange 2016 also introduces compliance search tool using which you can search unlimited number of mailboxes. However, compliance search feature is available only using Exchange Management Shell.
These are some new features of Exchange 2016. You will find lot more new features if you are coming from Exchange 2010 world.
You may also like -
Latest posts by Bipin (see all)
- Restore Accidentally Deleted Public Folder Database from EDB File - May 23, 2016
- Create Dynamic Distribution Group in Exchange 2016 - April 21, 2016
- Create Distribution Group in Exchange 2016 - April 21, 2016