VMware View is VMware’s desktop virtualization software. There are many peices of this software that works together to achieve the goal. Today I will discuss about understanding VMware View components. Before designing and implementing the view desktop environment, understanding VMware View components is very important step. You can download trial version of VMware View software.
Understanding VMware View Components
After you download VMware View 5, you will get 5 different installation files. Each file have different role. The main installation file is named VMware View Connection Server. This file lets you install four different type of servers including view connection server.
View Connection Server
- View Standard Server :- This is the main server (View Connection Server) or you can say heart of the VMware View software. This server is installed at the very beginning of the deployment. This server can be installed on Server 2003 or x64 Server 2008. This is installed on standalone Windows Server that is member of DC (Domain Controller). This Windows Server will most likely be a virtual machine in vSphere environment. This is where administrators spent most of their time deploying virtual desktops, authenticating clients with AD (Active Directory), and so on.
- View Replica Server :- This server functions same as Connection server and is installed to purpose redundancy and load balancing functionality for Connection server. This server can be installed on other standalone Windows server that is member of DC.
- View Transfer Server :- View Transfer server allows users to download remote desktop to their local machine and synchronize the data between local desktop and corresponding remote desktop in the data center. View Transfer server must be installed in vCenter server.
- View Security Server :- Security server allows external users access their virtual desktop in the internal network from the Internet. The Security server is installed on Windows Server and placed on DMZ network of the company network.
The second installation file is VMware View Composer. This server is used to provide linked clone virtual desktops to users. The clone is based on parent virtual machine. This server is installed on vCenter server. View Composer reduces the disk space require for virtual machines. The linked clone virtual desktop is more easier and quicker to deploy because of View Composer server.
The Third installation file is View Agent. The View Agent is installed on virtual machine which is going to be used as source VM for virtual desktop. For example to deploy Windows 7 as view desktop, view agent must be installed in Windows 7 virtual machine.
The fourth installation file is View Client. The View Client is installed on users local machine or physical machine. The user opens view client application and connect to view desktop. The View Client can be installed on Windows 7, Max OSX, Linux open client and thin clients.
View Client With Local Mode
The last installation file is View Client With Local Mode. This installation file is installed on client or users physical machine. The user use this application to connect to view connection server and download the view desktop to their local machines.
You may also like -
Latest posts by Bipin (see all)
- How to Disable Windows Update using Group Policy - June 27, 2019
- Turn Off Auto Mapping Feature in Exchange 2010 Mailbox - January 9, 2018
- Backup Exchange Mailboxes to PST with Iperius Backup - April 1, 2017